- Keep an inventory of the items you store. If you are looking for something, you won't have to wonder whether or not it is in your storage unit.
- Put plastic on the floor of your unit to keep your items clean and to protect them in case something leaks.
- Put all of the items you store in boxes or plastic bins rather than loose in the unit. Use only a couple of uniform sizes of boxes or bins when possible. This makes for better organization and a neater space.
- Pack heavier items in smaller boxes so they won't be so difficult to move.
- Label the contents of your containers. You can use different colors of labels for particular rooms or to identify the belongings of different people.
- Place the most valuable items in the back of the unit, as well as those you'll be less likely to need first.
- Place fragile items on shelving units or bookcases.
- If possible, leave aisles or walk space between rows of stacked boxes for easy access.
- Wrap framed art and mirrors in bubble wrap and stand them on end.
- Don't store in plastic or use plastic to cover items that could be damaged from moisture condensation. You should, however, use plastic bags to store items that might leak.
- Wardrobe boxes and mattress bags protect your investment in your clothing and furniture.
- If you stack your furniture, be sure to place some type of padding between items to prevent scratches.
- Dissemble any items you can for more efficient use of space and easier moving. Store screws and bolts in zip-lock bags and tape them to the item with duct tape.
- Stand mattresses and sofas on end with plastic under them.
- If possible, use the original boxes to store electronic equipment.
- Purchase boxes with dividers to store glassware and china and put packing material on the bottom and top of boxes. Wrap each item individually with paper or foam. Place these fragile boxes on top of other boxes or on a shelf.
- Wedge open the doors of appliances to prevent mildew. You can store lighter items such as linens inside.
- Place cardboard under anything that may leak oil, such as cars, lawn mowers, motorcycles. Never store fuel or any flammable substances. Drain fuel from lawn equipment before storing.
- Buy tenant insurance. It is worth the small price for added peace of mind
STORAGE OF THE FOLLOWING ITEMS ARE PROHIBITED:
Food of any kind. No cans, boxes, bottles, etc.
No open household cleaners, spray bottles or cans.
No open paint cans.
No live plants or pets!